Wednesday 14 September 2011

Hi sorry for the lack of updates I haven't had access to the Internet for a long time, currently posting from my university library. Didn't realise I was getting so much traffic on my blog (1k plus views most from early September it seems) So I guess I should be updating more haha

I kept repainting and redesigning the dragon from the previous post but have decided to leave that painting to rest I didnt really think it out and the painting suffered as a result. So Ive decided to just start from scratch with a different idea for an illustration with a dragon in.

I decided to really focus on the narrative aspects of the painting, and also try and add multiple figures. As I find figures particularly hard so the best way of fixing that is to paint lots of them right? Part of the reason of doing this as well is due to my dissertation that I have to do for my final year. I am thinking of exploring the narrative aspects of illustration, maybe with the title ''Do pictures speak a thousand words' or some such lol

I recently have been looking at the dungeons and dragons art with more in depth analysis of Todd Lockwood's and Ralph Horsleys paintings that have a lot of action and little story elements, so I want to try and put that study to use :)

This is the initial sketch before I do the clean up drawing to make it ready for painting. I'm trying to keep my process for painting the same at the moment as it makes it easier to tackle the different aspects of the painting and to help with the consistency of quality of the paintings.

I feel that I produce better work when I start from sketch and clean it up as well. At the moment I'm probably going to do the clean up sketch working out the little details etc ready for for paint. Then ill do a value painting like I did with my dominance war V entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment