Sunday, 29 June 2014

Medieval style tent scene_ wip 3, and a stylised environment speedpainting

UV unwrapped Medieval tent scene, with simple checker pattern
Stylised Environment Speedpainting
Here is some more progress on my Medieval style tent scene, I have unwrapped all of the models, here is the scene rendered with the simple chequerboard texture on that I used to make sure I did it correctly. I think for the most part it worked.

I forgot to mention in the previous posts that I am using a 3 point lighting set up, 1 directional key light and 2 areas; one for a fill and another for a rim, with a volume light in the tent, and its rendered in Mental Ray.

The picture is a Stylised Environment speed painting I did the other day to try something a bit different.

Saturday, 28 June 2014

Medieval style tent scene progress, wip 2

Medieval Tent Scene, wip 2

Here is some progress on my Medieval style tent scene, I redid the main centre part of the tent and started adding props to help dress the scene.

Friday, 27 June 2014

Medieval Tent Scene work in progress

Medieval Tent scene wip 1, light render

Medieval Tent scene wip1, Ambient Occlusion
Here is something a little different; I have wanted to focus on improving my 3D modelling skills for awhile now, now that I have finished my Masters Degree, I have decided I am going to try and shift my focus for my free time to improving my modelling. I will focus on hard surfaces and environment modelling in general; as I believe its a natural progression to my Concept Art, which tends to lean towards environment concepts.

To start off with, I am going to try and complete this simple scene above of a Medieval tent, with a rack of spears, and a simple shield with a spear leaning against the wall of the tent. The figure is just for scale, as with all my modelling I tend to model to UDK sizes so that I have the option to import them in to the program at a later date.

I am hoping that the scene will teach me enough of the basics to try more ambitious projects in the future.

Monday, 16 June 2014

River Ruins matte painting final version

River Ruins matte painting final version
Here is the final version of the River Ruins matte painting that I did for my Portfolio.

Saturday, 14 June 2014

River Ruins matte painting progress, wip 3

River Ruins Matte painting progress, wip 3
Some more progress on the previous matte painting.

Thursday, 12 June 2014

River Ruins matte painting progress, wip 2

River Ruins matte painting wip 2
Here is the current progress of my River Ruins matte painting. I decided to extend the canvas to give it a more cinematic look, and to make the composition feel more open. I believe all the elements are in place now so I plan to spend the remaining time cleaning everything up and rendering.


Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Vampiress Finale

Vampiress final - high resolution
Here is the final version of my Vampiress Illustration. I am fairly happy with how it turned out in the end, however I think I need to learn how to depict blood better I am not too sure about the final aesthetic. I am also not 100% sure the spider shoes were a great idea, but I decided to leave them in anyway.

Monday, 9 June 2014

Vampiress Illustration wip 3

Vampiress Illustration wip 3
Here is the final wip of my Vampiress portfolio illustration, I am hoping to finish it tomorrow, I just need to do another once over on all the focal points. Once thats done Ill concentrate on the Ruin by the River matte painting I posted previously.

Saturday, 7 June 2014

Vampiress Illustration wip 2

Vampiress wip 2

Some further progress on my Vampiress Illustration. I decided to add a second figure to add some more storytelling elements to the picture.

Wednesday, 4 June 2014

River Ruins Matte Painting and Vampiress Illustration, wip 1

River Ruins in Snow, Matte painting wip 1

Vampiress illustration wip 1
Here are two portfolio pieces I am currently working on. The first, is my first real attempt at a Matte Painting, I decided to create a environment which depicts a medieval ruin; near a snowed over river. I thought this subject matter would provide the opportunity to try many different matte painting techniques and therefore be a good practice. I am planning this as a portfolio piece for my sketchbook section.

The second illustration I have started, is a depiction of a Vampiress. Originally I started doing an illustration of a wizard who was shattered from doing his art finals haha; but after a day of working on that one I figured it was a lost cause (one of those ideas that sounds better in your head than on paper) so I started this one instead. My goal for this illustration is a character piece which depicts a female Vampire, in a Gothic styled environment, I chose this subject matter in order to have some portfolio pieces targeted at the Fantasy genre.

I am hoping to have these both done before I go back to Milton Keynes at the end of the month which I think should be doable as the only other thing I am doing at the moment is looking for full time and freelance work.